Most sports enthusiasts know how Canadians feel about their hockey. There is a strong belief among Canucks that hockey was born in this country. Even though we lay claim to the fast-paced game of hockey, Canadians also embrace sports that are extremely popular south of the border, including football and soccer. Sports fans may never get bored with hockey, football or baseball yet are usually open to trying new physical activities.
Here’s a look at some new sports you might want to consider. Only time will tell if they actually catch on.
- Four-Squares– this is a sport developed in South Africa that can be played by a minimum of four players or a maximum of eight. It’s played inside Four Squares that are usually labeled K for King, P for Prince, D for Duke, and C for Commoner. Sometimes, people make up different labels for the squares but the idea behind Four Squares is to keep the game ball inside the squares and in constant motion. How? You pass it by bouncing the ball on the ground. The players can only use one hand to play this game – no other body parts are allowed. There are no teams so Four Squares is a sport that forces you to go head-to-head with other participants. It is said to be the perfect game to help develop speed, reaction, and coordination. Since it doesn’t require a lot of equipment, it can be played almost anywhere, indoor or outdoor. Sounds easy enough, but if you bounce the ball in your own Square – you’re out!
- Aiden Ball– this is a relatively new Sport that was created by Aiden Jones who lives in North Wales. It is best described as a cross between football and volleyball. Aiden Ball involves two teams of six players and takes place on a grass field that is about 6 metres wide and 20 metres long. At each end of the field is a full-sized football or soccer goal. The aim of the game is to punch or kick a helium-filled ball into the opposing team’s goal, while at the same time defending your own goal. There are some specific rules to Aiden Ball that make it a challenge. For example, players can’t touch the ball more than once if it is in their half of the field and each player has just six seconds to get the ball out of their half and into their opponents. Also, players can’t enter the oppositions’ half during the game. In this game, you can use your hands to help control the ball but not to catch it.
- Frisbee Trampoline– invented by Yoav Lerner from Israel, this new sport involves playing with a flying disc on a playing field that includes 60 trampolines. A metal ring serves as the goal area, at each end of the playing field. Check out the following YouTube video to get an idea of what Frisbee Trampoline is like:
- Yakball – the object of this game is to bounce a soccer ball into a target, which is essentially a three by six-foot box pained on a wall that is located 4 feet off the ground. There are two opposing teams with four players. Each game is broken into four, 10-minute periods. The team that gets the most points in that time wins the game. Sounds easy right? Well, like any good game, there are rules. For example, you must make two passes before a point can be scored. Also, the Yakball has to remain in play even after a goal is scored. This is a physical game because the player who is carrying the ball can be hit. The ball can be moved by running, throwing, or heading but there is no kicking the ball.
- FootGolf– for this new sport, you have to wear golfing outfits with soccer shoes. The idea is to kick a soccer ball into a large hole. The rules are similar to golf but with FootGolf you play the ball in a single movement. At the end of nine holes, the player who has finished the course using the least number of kicks is the winner. Although the exact origin of FootGolf is unknown, the sport became an informal pastime in Europe about a decade ago. Today there is an American FootGolf League and a Federation for International FootGolf (FIFG). In 2015 over 100 golf courses in the United States started offering FootGolf. One year later, more than 80 FootGolf tournaments were held in the U.S. Last years’ Masters Champion, Sergio Garcia has even tried FootGolf. This new sport just might be coming to a community near you soon.